Sunday 10 October 2010

有梦想谁都了不起

Every now and again I go to Youtube, or Youku and listen to some Chinese songs. I'm not really a huge fan of most Chinese music. I've tried, but 99% of the stuff I've listen to just sounds like pop crap..... Okay, I know I like poppy crap, but it has to be a certain type of poppy crap. One song that causes me to become a little emotional and even tear up on occasion is the official theme song from the 2008 Olympic games, "Bejing welcomes you" (北京欢迎你)....I have no real reason to write the Chinese, I just wanted to do so. Anyway, this is a little odd for me because I really fucking hated the song at the time. I mean in the days leading up to, and during the Olympics, this song was played over and over and over and over again. Given that it is a seven minute song with basically the same verse and same chorus repeated over and over again, that's not good. It's one thing to have "Bohemian Rhapsody", or something epic that changes all the time for seven minutes..... but "Beijing welcomes you" is basically a standard three and a half minute pop song that they decided to double in length to give all the celebrities a chance to sing a line. So yeah, I hated the song at the time.... However, it was played so much during this period that the song has become indelibly linked to my memories of the time. It got me thinking about all the songs that I associate with people or events or certain periods in my life. So I decide to make a list of songs that bring back the most powerful and vivid memories. Hopefully, I'll be able to get out a few blog posts on the topic..... but for now, watch the video and be amused by the fact that I think of Mikey when I see Wang Lee Hom..... Dad when I see Jackie Chan.... and Susie when I see Karen Mok..... If only Anthony Wong had gotten in on it, he would definitely be me. Sorry mum, but you are caucasian and I don't think you'd want to be associated with a cheesy song like that anyway. You get a piece of "Scotland the Brave" though. :P

1 comment:

Linda said...

please please please put the video on the post. like Sus does. I want it at the same time as the text