Thursday 14 October 2010

There'll be no desafinado, when your heart belongs to me completely.

That was a cheap move, Mei. You go and write a great post about a great song..... and then you had the nerve to embed the video into the post (raising Moot's expectations to unreasonably high standards.....Moot will get a text link and like it!)..... and the still frame from the video is just so conveniently Jakob Dylan's beautiful, chiseled (but not overly so), symmetrical (he looks exactly the same despite the video being a mirror image) face.

I've decided that since I can't compete on sheer blogging competency, I need something to differentiate myself. I will use my lack of technology to my advantage by not telling you what my next song is. You can read through the post, place your guess in the comments section and then I will put up another post with the lovely video in it. Okay?

This song was introduced to me by a certain crafty ocelot, who picked it up on her travels. It is one of those songs that has always tempted me into thinking about investing a little bit of time into learning some of the language, just so I could sing it better. Take "Desafinado" for example, I always wanted to learn a little Portuguese so that I could sing like this:




Rather than like this (although this version is a lot of fun):



The guy who sung my secret memory song was apparently one of Joao Gilberto's main influences, and it could be argued that he too, was one of the founding fathers of bossanova music. I think this is probably enough hintage for Susie to guess who the singer is and what the song must be. Another bonus hint for Moot, the singer died a couple of years ago aged 90..... and the best anagram of his name is the hilarious "An old ravisher". If you need to have it playing at the same time as you read it, Moot, you can solve the riddle and search for the song on Youtube.....or you might just be able to find it on the living room computer.

But yeah, it's frustrating when you have a song that is so great and so catchy, yet you feel like you are defiling the language when singing it.... but defile it I did. This song was the theme song for my trip to Canada in 2001. I couldn't get it out of my head..... everywhere I went, I'd say not 30 minutes would have gone by without me humming it or singing it in my head. Sitting in the airport talking to an arsehole Canadian immigration officer (only unpleasant Canadian I met, I shit you not), watching Aunty Grace cook a foil-wrapped fish recipe that she learned from Jamie Oliver, playing pool with cousin David (and having him ask if Aunty Grace cooked the same fish dish she always makes), being unimpressed by the Niagra falls, purchasing a stupid set of clay poker chips that I have never used, sitting by some river thinking oh my god I'm 20 what have I done/am I doing with my life.....all of these occurred with my secret song lurking somewhere in the background. The question is.....what song is it?

After I finished my time in Canada, I went to see my friend Paul, who was attending Yale at that time. My theme song for that part of my trip was this song. Man, those Ivy League kids know how to party... But I suppose that is a post for another day.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooh ooh ooh! Julie London is one of my absolute favourites!

I had no idea that our mystery singer was a leader in bossa nova. Explains a lot. That anagram is perfect too. The magic of anagrams eh?

My guess is Henri Salvador..... and I don't know if I'll guess the song correctly, but when I think you I think of "Mademoiselle". It would be completely awesome if this was the song, because I can totally see what a great background song it would be to all those moments you described. It's a perfect movie montage song. It's also so random if THAT was your song for these travels!

I am enjoying your gameplaying. Ocelot approves.

Anonymous said...

Or is it Jazz Méditerranée?

David said...

I have spent whole days with "Mademoiselle" stuck in my head, singing the "doo doo doo" and low growly "Mademoiselle" bit. However, that song isn't associated with a particular memory. I am really happy to be associated with it in your memories though, Mei.

Jazz Mediterranee was completely stuck in my head the whole time I was in Canada. I always wanted to sing it out loud, but I was really concious of the fact that I can't really pronounce anything correctly, so I would just hum and mumble. I guess Canada's not a bad place to be wandering around mumbling in French, people probably just thought that I was a crazy Quebecois......with a speech impediment.....and possibly brain damage.....

Anonymous said...

Favourite bit: Tous les flonflons